This barbequed cauliflower and potato bhaaji can be made on the stovetop as well, but the barbeque flavour mixed with the Indian spices, takes it to a whole new level.
Barbequed cauliflower and potato bhaaji is a family favourite. It was born out of blending family and cookbook recipes, tweaked, and then tweaked some more. Cauliflower bhaaji is traditionally made on the stovetop. Our family decided that the crispy char from the barbeque, on the cauliflower and potatoes is a definite must.
One of the original versions of this recipe had peas instead of potatoes, but my son advocated for change, and won. So, peas are out and potatoes are in. Feel free to throw peas back in if you make the stovetop version.
Simplicity of the Barbeque
The beauty of making this on the barbeque is that you don’t have another pot to watch on the stove, and you only need one bowl!
It’s so simple! Throw all of the ingredients into a large bowl, toss, transfer to a foil pouch. The barbeque does the rest.
If you would prefer to make this on the stovetop, the detailed instructions are in the notes section of the recipe below.
Check out my recipe for Garlic Zucchini Raita, which pairs very well with this Cauliflower Potato Bhaaji.
Barbequed Cauliflower and Potato Bhaaji
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the barbeque to ~350-400° F
- Wash and chop the cauliflower into medium sized florets
- Wash and dice the potatoes, cook for ~3 minutes in the microwave, or par-boil until just tender
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, spices and salt
- Add cauliflower and potatoes to the bowl, and toss to coat thoroughly with spice mixture
- Layout two large pieces of foil in a cross pattern, add the cauliflower mix to the centre of the foil and wrap to create a sealed package
- Add the foil package to the barbeque, and cook for ~15minutes, until cauliflower and potatoes are slightly charred
- Serve directly out of the foil pouch, or remove from foil and place in a serving dish, lightly drizzle some olive oil on top and garnish with fresh cilantro
- Par-boil or microwave the potatoes so they are just tender, and set aside
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan, and add ginger, let fry for a few seconds
- Add all of the remaining spices, and stir continuously for a few seconds
- Add in the cauliflower and potatoes, and stir well to coat thoroughly with the spices
- Reduce to low heat, cover and allow to cook for ~10 minutes.
- Serve once the cauliflower and potatoes are soft, and the oil has started to separate.